The “cowboy town” of Rapid City is a perfect
location from which to explore the deserted
landscape of prairies and pine forests. To the
south west of the city is Mount Rushmore with
the carved heads of four US presidents and
beyond it is Custer State Park whilst to the
north west lies the Black Hills National Park.
Top tips for your stay in the West of America
- The Grand Canyon drives are breathtaking,
especially the West Rim Drive or South Rim.
- The South Rim at Grand Canyon is busiest in
summer. Make sure you book at least six
months in advance. Consider staying outside
the Canyon at Flagstaff – just an hour away.
- Get out into the desert on one of the many
excursions available locally and see the giant
cactii close up!
- Enjoy an exhilarating boat trip down the
- Stay overnight at the Grand Canyon West
Ranch in either a cabin or teepee.