The “Oil State”, with Houston, the energy capital,
at its heart, is generally flat, but with a few
surprises. The hill country just north of San Antonio
is a delightful contrast to all around it, whilst in the
east is some of the most dramatic mountain and
canyon scenery in the state. A visit to glitzy,
fashionable Dallas is also not to be missed.
Top tips for your stay in the West of America
- The Grand Canyon drives are breathtaking,
especially the West Rim Drive or South Rim.
- The South Rim at Grand Canyon is busiest in
summer. Make sure you book at least six
months in advance. Consider staying outside
the Canyon at Flagstaff – just an hour away.
- Get out into the desert on one of the many
excursions available locally and see the giant
cactii close up!
- Enjoy an exhilarating boat trip down the
- Stay overnight at the Grand Canyon West
Ranch in either a cabin or teepee.